Fantastic First Dates
The trick to a great first date is to try your hardest to make it a success, but make it look like you're not trying at all. Crazy, right? Unfortunately no matter how magical a first date may seem to an outsider, for those involved there have probably been many long, hard hours of preparation. From what to wear to where to go, every detail of a first date has likely been agonized over and carefully planned. If you have a first date coming up, be sure to follow these tips to make it so fantastic that you'll be begged for a second, and hopefully a third!
First Date FashionSelecting an outfit to wear on a first date must meet a variety of criteria, including that it must fit well, look good and be comfortable. A first date is not the time to try out a new look or release your inner haute couture model. If you are tempted to radically alter your outfit, remember that your date wants to be with the you that (s)he has come to know. Also, know your plans so that you don't show up dressed for an opera if you are going bowling.
First Date PlanSpeaking of operas and bowling, make sure that you have a plan for your first date so that you don't waste time wondering where you should go and what you should do. Many successful first dates include:
- Seeing a film.
- Having a meal out or meeting up for a coffee.
- Going to an amusement arcade or park.
- Wandering around a museum or art exhibition.
- Having a picnic in the park.
- Going for a hike or walking along the beach.
- Attending a matinee play or musical.
- Going go-karting or paint-balling.
- Wandering through a jumble sale or outdoor market.
First Date ConversationSometimes when all you desperately want to do is say something funny and smart, this can become the hardest thing on earth to pull off. To make sure that you don't flounder for something to talk about, think up a few conversation starters before you even leave the house. For interesting information:
- Scan the local paper for stories.
- Investigate reviews of the film/play/exhibit that you are about to see.
- Skim the contents of any classes you have together.
- Bone up on trivia about your date's interests.
- Practice a few jokes.
First Date RemindersWhen you are looking fabulous, having fun and spouting out witticisms left, right and centre the chances are high that your date will be fabulously impressed. It is easy to get carried away on this high, but don't leave your common sense behind. Remember not to do anything you are uncomfortable with or feel that you might regret in the morning, including:
- Gossiping about friends or foes.
- Blowing off work or school work to spend more time together.
- Violating your parents' rules or curfew.
- Drinking or getting drunk.
- Taking drugs.
- Having sex.